Friday, June 18, 2010

n00b Kid On The Block

I like being the n00b kid on the block.

In an earlier blogpost on my Ning site, I explained how being a beginner at something has its adventures, advantages, and downfalls. So far in my 261 days as "the n00b of Social Media", there haven't been many pitfalls. I've had a rather thrilling ride through Social Media 101 Blogworld 2009, LeWeb 2009, 140TC 2010, SXSWi 2010, ReThink Hawaii 2010, and I'm currently volunteering with Gnomedex 2010 for August 19-21. I just finished my first eBook, started a third Twitter account @VideoNurse, and launched a regular Ustream.tv show "Video Nurse" airing Mondays at 5 pm PST talking about health care and its intersection with technology. I've assisted with content on another eBook, and I'm about to launch a fully-interactive website for my psychology and wellness website, SeattleDirectCounseling.com (coming on WordPress soon!).

By far, this doesn't make me:

1. Successful
2. Rich (!)
3. An expert

I'd like to convert my forays in Social Media to become:

1. Richer
2. A Savvy and smart business woman
3. A better networker
4. Helpful to others with a much larger reach than one person at a time.

Nothing felt more "n00bier" than receiving several emails from different fields, requesting easy tips on turning their current websites into monetized blogs. I felt n00bish because my first reaction is "Who am I to give advice on this? What do I really know? What have I really done?" I'm still in the "hard work, all for fun, where's the money" stage. Though each email was a sincere ask for help, I felt n00bish because I'm frankly still a n00b, and I enjoy being a n00b.


Sound Effects for Your Thoughts

With just 104 days of my n00b year left, I'm asking all those hard questions. What can I really show for that year? What were the losses? What were the gains? If I could do anything differently, what would it be? And what am I deeply satisfied with?

One thing that has become apparent: just about everything I've done has shown up on an unfinished list from Chris Pirillo on the topic of making money from blogging. That isn't the only thing I'm trying to do, but at its essence, a blog doesn't survive for long if it doesn't yield a measureable return on your investment (ROI). One of the tips eluded to is a tried-and-true motto:

Easy money usually means hard work.

Five seconds ago, I tried to think of one word that would describe my immersion into Social Media. The only word that flashed was this one:

mentor

To clarify, the word is MENTOR, not "mental", although there have been times that I have felt the latter quite deeply.

A few related words also suit the effect: coach, teacher, model. You see, I have a pile of books in my house, and all of them are full of information, insight, suggestions, exercises, and reviews. However, I'm not very motivated to learn from these books and swim through the minutiae to find out what HTML code I need to insert in my website in order to make a button bigger or smaller. I'm just not that kind of Neek (hybrid nerd and geek). I'm not inclined to read 50 reviews to find out if the camera I'm using is the best one for my purposes. But I am sold on the process of sitting with someone who shows me in front of my face what I'm doing right and what I can improve, even if that is done in a group setting. I'm all into the learning process, but I'm suggesting that your learning process cannot be limited to a CD and book study program (just $49.95 plus shipping and handling). It can't be encapsulated in a friend's well-meaning but greatly attenuated "hot list" of things you need to do.

As my motivational coaching practice takes flight (I already have clients!), I believe I'm going to see more of this trend happen in Social Media. The emails with requests for short cuts and tips will keep coming in. However my answer will remain the same: "There are no short cuts, and there is no free lunch. Get a mentor or a coach." I am passionate about this answer, because this is what has been done for me.

I am indebted to two men, Joe Kennedy and Chris Pirillo, for the n00b journey I've been on. Joe Kennedy is responsible for inviting me to Social Media 101 September 25, 2009 and being the incredible networker that he is. Chris Pirillo is responsible for asking me out to coffee after I shyly told him I had just launched my first Twitter handle. He showed me what happened when he retweeted my Tweet: "What would Scooby Doo do with a Macbook and an iPhone?" As people responded to that Tweet, my eyes were opened. Everything else is history.

Please follow me on Twitter @hipsforhire @VideoNurse and Facebook ImeiYogaDance, and check out video on YouTube YourLilChinaGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment