Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Balls: Part II How To Use Them

I, like thousands of others, got taken in. Yes, it does happen. The people behind TheChive.com, who have come up with other hoaxes, landed this one with the hope of going viral once again. Congratulations, guys: you got more people to regurgitate your make-believe story (*applause*).

Before you start giving them props and kudos for successfully spinning a tale about "Jenny", the disgruntled employee who quit her job using a series of 31 dry-erase board photo messages, you might want to consider another angle. In a way, I'd like to thank theChive.com guys not so much for their prank, but what their prank highlights: Social Media and Internet journalism is rife with regurgitated, over-spun stories instead of innovative, action-oriented content that inspires, improves the quality of life, or fills a need that makes a difference. 

If we really have the balls, as I wrote about in my previous post "Balls: Not Only On the Guys", we would be action-oriented. We would be more like the people who are about to take the stages of the numerous Seattle Geek Week activities August 13 - 22, such as Austin Heap's work to help Iranian dissidents, or Johnny Diggz' Geeks Without Borders

The Jenny story gave us some kicks and giggles. But if I wanted to be entertained, there is enough noise and  Internet drivel available out there (and I've probably supplied a drop or two of that myself) on Youtube and Facebook from which to select for a good laugh. If I wanted to be emotionally manipulated for someone else's pleasure, I could find someone to re-enact a form of relational sadism upon me until my dying days (or just watch "The Notebook").

It was pointed out to me that perhaps the "Jenny" story served another purpose. Maybe the offshoot is that it inspires other people who hate their jobs to actually do something like "Jenny" did. I thought long and hard about it (about five seconds). Nah. I am not ready to assign that kind of credit for inspiration to change, when these guys knew they'd have to call it a hoax in less than 24 hours. True inspiration doesn't come from single acts of random people, but from consistent leadership that flows from character. I would rather applaud the people who will be coming to the Gnomedex stage August 19 - 21. There's no hoax involved. They are the real deal, and I am proud to be involved in curating the content that will be on the stage for this conference. 

Maybe as our own little prank, those of us who got taken in by the "Jenny" story should invoice the Chive guys with the estimated cost of our wasted time. I'm sure the Jay Leno show and the Today Show might have some hefty bills. Let's see now: I charge $110- $175/hr for coaching. I took thirty minutes to respond to other people on FB and Twitter about the story, and ten minutes to review the hoax when it was revealed. I spent another five minutes responding to Twitter retweets, and fifteen minutes writing this blog post. 

I'll be fair. The invoice for my time looks like about $110 sixty minutes, but I got an idea that's worth a million bucks to me out of the experience. That idea is this: keep doing original actions, and keep writing original content. Keep dancing original choreography, and keep performing original music. So, we'll call it even. 

Thanks guys. By negative example, I figured out exactly who I don't want to be. 

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely ridiculous. Exactly what point are you trying to prove? That you didn't like their joke? I honestly can't figure out what you think you're adding to the conversation with this nonsense.

    Perhaps its art. Would you criticize it as harshly if that was their claim? Is it more negative or disruptive and any other performance piece or multimedia story you can think of? Are you the new arbiter of value in art?

    I really don't have strong feelings about the Jenny piece one way or another, but I do have strong feelings about this type of transparent, coattail-riding chicanery. It's clear to me that you have nothing of value to say, and that you are simply trying to slop up the runoff of theCHIVE's Google juice with some bullshit, holier-than-thou nonsense. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, Isn't it fair to say that although it was a clever hoax you didn't actually 'have' to respond to it or even acknowledge it for that matter. I mean, I haven't ever played Mafia Wars on Facebook nor have I tried the app, ditto for the IPad. If I'm not interested in something I just ignore it. That's like being upset that yo actually thought a FoxNews story was real when all you really have to do is ignore Fox and not watch it. Why'd you even waste your time? I read the 'Jenny' story but an attractive girl holding a dry erase board is the same as someone offering me free sushi.... I simply can't pass either up!

    ReplyDelete