Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Just before going to Studio 904 to donate my hair to WigsForKids.org, I stopped in for lunch at Pho Fuchia, a new pho shop across from my office. Slammed with customers and one chef down, my meal came to me 20 minutes after ordering, leaving me no time to eat it before I had to leave for my hair appointment. My hair, flowing around my lower ribs, was a wild and wonderful mess of curls; which "they" apologized to the server, and fled the building.

Rubberbands secure the hair for shipping



Two hours later, I returned to Pho Fuchia, reordering the lunch they had to waste. One of the waitresses looked at me hard, then said, "Wait, didn't you have long hair a few hours ago?" I showed her the bag of hair, ready to mail to Wigs For Kids, and she teared up.

"Can you give me the address so I can donate my hair too?" she asked. A year ago, her mother passed away from cancer, and she had been looking for a way she could honor her mother's memory.



It's only been a few hours, and though I feel lighter and freer, there is a loss in cutting off what feels like a woman's pride to grow her hair long. Still, I will tell anyone who can grow their hair for the minimum 12 inches required, it is a deep honor to be able to do something like this. I hope you'll join me if you can, or send a donation to WigsforKids.org. [Addendum: I have raised four people who have committed to doing the same thing. Will you join us? Email me at videonurse@me.com, or leave a comment below, and I will give you support to help you change someone else's life, helping a child be him or herself with confidence].

No comments:

Post a Comment