Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Big Chop-Chop: Studio 904 in Pioneer Square

A few days ago, I asked for help finding a salon to harvest my hair for WigsForKids.org:


The loss of hair is enough of a traumatizing experience. To have to pay high salon fees for that act just compounds the emotions even more. So I'm asking that if you know of a place that will follow the carefully described rules for collecting and donating the hair properly, I'd like to find that salon. The salon must be in the Seattle area (within a 15 mile radius of West Seattle), and willing to be written up for press about my experience.

If you are a salon owner, the wigs for kids site has a description that shows you exactly how they would like the hair collected and shipped for maximum hair usage. All I ask is that I be treated with compassion, and that I get a professional hair cut out of the deal for the next phase of my life. You get my blogpost and video of my experience, and a little bit of exposure for your business.


Thanks to Studio 904 in the Pioneer Square area of Seattle, I'll be able to harvest my hair in a compassionate setting. They've done collections for Locks of Love in the past, and they were also very accommodating of my wishes to get it filmed, as I want to inspire others to do the same. 

With just under two weeks left to enjoy my long hair, I have a lot of mixed feelings. The big "chop chop" is nothing like the "little snip snip" that many men decide to do. Cutting one's hair is public, image-altering, but not permanent. Having a vasectomy is private, unnoticeable, but permanent. For now, I'm using this strange comparison to overcome my discomfort with cutting my hair. 

You can participate in my donation, whether you live in Seattle or not, in the following ways:

1. Go to WigsForKids.org, and make a direct donation on their website.
2. Click on my Youtube video (it will be posted after August 26) and leave a video response of what you'd like to do to help kids with cancer.
3. Attend my Tweetup http://www.twtvite.com/bellydanceSGW August 22, and give your dollars during  collection time at the event, and  I will send in those dollars with my hair collection. If you mention Seattle Geek Week or the hashtag #SeaGW, you'll receive 10% off your food and bev tab for the evening. 

I just got official word: Chris Pirillo will be attending this event after the hackathon event at the Edgewater Inn running earlier August 22. In addtion, I'm honoring Kat Armstrong, Community Manager for Geekshed as my very special guest for the evening. 

I know of no better way to celebrate life, to journey through grief, and to help others, than to combine everything I love into one fantastic event than be giving. Thank you for your support, and I hope you'll participate with me in any way you can. 




1 comment:

  1. I have had my hair chopped many times now... at least once donating the properly gathered hair to Locks of Love. The first time I had my hair cut off, it was long enough I could sit on it. From that, I had it all shaved off. Twice more I've had it shaved off (once with a straight razor which I won't repeat) and it's always been a nice release.. a chance of pace if you will. I'm letting it grow out again to the length needed for LoL, but perhaps this time I'll send it to Wigs for Kids.
    It's possible that I'll attend your tweetup, so I will help with donations then.

    ReplyDelete