Monday, August 9, 2010

Check Me In: No OCD Required

Mashable's article about live entertainment check in behavior got me thinking about the "check in" craze. I've not been one to jump on the Foursquare craze at all, though I think it's a superb business idea of anyone who has a store-front business. Check out the Mashable article before reading on.

Some people may feel that without geolocation as the primary motivation to use a check in service, the value of check in apps decreases. Yet imagine if check in apps had been installed near the Twitter feed going on for such historic events as the memorial for Michael Jackson. I'm not talking about geolocation in the sense of physically checking in. Instead, I'm talking about virtual check ins when you listen to your favorite music, like Beats Antique on Pandora, or a check in while watching "America's Got Talent". Mashable's article pointed out that when people watch a popular TV show, they watch it to the point of obsession (i.e. "Lost", or "Mad Men").

As we do more and more activities remotely, including working, check in behavior that is not oriented around physical check ins to places will likely become more popular. Psychologically, they may increase our feelings of belonging, especially in periods of intense work schedules, business travel, or isolation. Imagine checking in to your favorite TV show, while being on a trip far away from home, yet staying connected with people you know who also use the same check in apps. It's these small, cultural ties-that-bind that I believe will have use coming back for more: connection, that is.

The minute my iPhone is in my hot little hand, I'm going to be trying out some of these non-geolocating check in apps, and asking my friends to join me. It's just one more virtual party to throw, and there's no bottles or mess to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment